Evaluation 7 - Looking back at your preliminary task (the continuity editing task), what do you feel you have learnt in the progression from it to full product?

Looking back at your preliminary task (the continuity editing task), what do you feel you have learnt in the progression from it to full product?




Script: 

Since our preliminary task we have learnt alot in terms of cinematography and editing and developed these skills which we believe is shown in our film opening.

Our preliminary task involved someone opening a door, walking across a room, sitting down and exchanging a few sentences of dialogue between two people. We had to incorporate shot reverse shot, 180 degree rule and match on action, into our short film to learn how they are used. Overall I enjoyed learning about the new camera techniques and getting used to filming. I found it more difficult than I expected to stick to the rules, for instance the 180 degree rule, however in my film opening I will now know not to the 'cross the line'.

Whilst doing this preliminary task we used a range of different equipment and software most of which was new to me.When filming the short clip, I used a filming camera which was put into a tripod, to ensure that the shot was straight and not tilted. I didn't use a hand held camera as that would have created a distorted and slightly tense effect, which would be better in a horror or action film. When I got to the editing stage of my task, I used iMovie to to put it all together, I had only used iMovie a few times previously so It took me a while to get used to using it correctly.

When planning the task, I drew out a storyboard of 6 shots to help me organise which types of shots I would used and on which character. Although when doing the storyboard I didn't see the importance, when doing the filming I realised how useful it was as I knew exactly when each character was speaking and where they would be when saying their dialogue. I ended up completely sticking to my plan and using all the shots in which I had planned out. 


Throughout my preliminary task, I did make a lot of mistakes but I can learn from these and improve on them. One thing that I will defiantly do in my short film opening is to create a detailed storyboard. I was surprised with how helpful and useful the storyboard was therefore I will make sure I use one for my short film opening. By doing this preliminary task it really helped to show how to use different equipment but also how the characters are placed within the frame, and reducing the amount of empty space and head room.  

Since then we feel confident using imovie effectively but also a different software - Final Cut. This was extremely useful when creating our ident and our typing sequence, initially it was difficult to use but since our preliminary task it has become easier to use. We struggled with the voice overs in our film opening however we were able to lower the background sound in imovie, hopefully making the sound more effective.

Initially we found using the camera more difficult than expected, keeping the character in frame whilst tracking them was a challenge for us as we used alot of tracking shots however this became easier as we practised it more. 

Overall we have learnt alot, including how to use a camera effectively, the importance of a storyboard and using editing software appropriately.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Evaluation 1 - In what ways does your media product use, develop or challenge forms and conventions of real media products?

CINEMATOGRAPHY and What I have learnt...